FanDuel is one of the country’s largest daily fantasy and sports betting providers with in-person and mobile betting offered across much of the US.
Customers in most states can visit FanDuel to compete in daily fantasy sports contests while those in a growing number of states that have legalized sports betting can also put their knowledge to the test at FanDuel Sportsbook.
FanDuel got its start in the daily fantasy business way back in 2009 and added mobile sports betting in 2018. Today, FanDuel offers daily fantasy in most of the US and online sports betting in a growing number of states.
- Legal and licensed in the USA
- Daily fantasy and sports betting under one roof
- Offers wagers on a wide range of sports in the US and abroad
- Extensive in-play betting markets
- Not as generous with promotions as some competitors
- FanDuel Sports Betting Review
- FanDuel Bonuses and Promotions
- FanDuel Mobile Betting App
- FanDuel Horse Racing Betting
- FanDuel Online Casino
- FanDuel Daily Fantasy Contests
- FanDuel DFS Bonuses and Promos
- FanDuel Customer Support
- FanDuel Deposit and Withdrawal Methods
- States Where FanDuel Sportsbook is Available
FanDuel launched in 2009 as a group effort between five cofounders who had originally gotten together to operate a play-money news and politics prediction market called Hubdub. Monetizing Hubdub proved difficult, however, and the five attended SXSW 2009 in Austin in search of inspiration.
While in Austin, the five noted that sports-related predictions attracted the most interest among Hubdub customers. This prompted them to consider fantasy sports and they noted most of the options available at the time were poorly executed and offered little mobile support. At that point, the team decided to go full throttle with their newest startup: FanDuel.com.
The FanDuel business model proved popular and profitable, and there was no looking back from there. FanDuel was able to raise hundreds of millions in venture capital funding and quickly expanded across the US to eventually establish itself as one of the two big players in daily fantasy (the other being rival DraftKings).
In 2018, the Supreme Court of the United States overturned the federal sports betting prohibition to once again open the doors of opportunity. FanDuel Sportsbook took advantage and launched its first retail sportsbook at Meadowlands Racetrack in New Jersey just two months later.
FanDuel commenced mobile betting in New Jersey later that year and has since expanded both its retail operations and online betting to additional states. FanDuel Online Sportsbook is now available in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Indiana and West Virginia.
As legislation rolls out across the United States, you can be sure FanDuel will be right in the mix of things as an aggressive company keen on cornering the legal sports betting market.
With background history out of the way, the remainder of this FanDuel review will focus on the experience from our point of view as customers. We will explain where FanDuel Sportsbook and Fantasy are active, discuss the various welcome bonuses offered to new customers and offer our thoughts on the overall quality of service.
- Types of Gambling Offered: Daily fantasy, sports betting, horse racing and casino games
- Casino Software Providers: GAN
- Established: 2009 (daily fantasy sports), 2018 (sportsbook)
- Accepted Countries: United States and Canada
- Deposit methods: Credit card, debit card, PayPal and Online Banking
- Payout methods: Online Banking, PayPal and Check
FanDuel Sports Betting Review
FanDuel Sportsbook accepts wagers on an array of sports leagues covering everything from the major pro and college leagues here in the US to international competition. Prices are either in line with the industry average or a bit better, sometimes beating out other platforms by as much as 20 cents.
Payouts on teasers align with what you would expect to find at the more established Nevada books, and FanDuel was one of the first to introduce same-game parlays. This is all offered in addition to standard moneylines and point spreads, player props and all manner of alternate lines.
The full extent of available markets makes itself known when visiting the page of any specific event. Click through to today’s big NFL game, for example, and you’ll find moneylines, multiple point spreads, any time touchdown scorer, first touchdown scorer, player props, team props, first quarter lines, winning margin wagers and much more. Each game also includes dozens of options for buying and selling points.
In terms of betting options and markets, FanDuel matches or exceeds every other book on the market today. Whether you’re into college hoops or Bosnian soccer, FanDuel has you covered. Variety is easily one of FanDuel’s key competitive advantages in the US.
|Boxing||College Basketball||College Football|
FanDuel Bonuses and Promotions
Although FanDuel does offer a mix of new and existing customer bonuses, it does not invest as much in promotions as some of the other sportsbooks that have hit the market of late. Brand name recognition and a massive customer database generated through its longstanding fantasy business, FanDuel simply does not need to go as far as the competition when it comes to promos.
That being said, the promotions FanDuel does offer are all worth a look. New customers and returning players alike can take advantage of a variety of value-added offers that will boost the bottom line.
New Customers: $500 Risk Free Bet
If you’re new to FanDuel Sportsbook, you can sign up today to claim a risk free first bet. The basic idea is simple: if your first wager is not a winner, FanDuel will reimburse your account with a free bet of equal value (up to $500) to give you a second chance at starting off a winner.
The refund is issued as site credit and cannot be withdrawn, which makes this more of a consolation prize rather than a true refund. Even so, you’ll get a second chance to place another wager and win cash that is yours to keep or withdraw.
One of the nice things about the FanDuel bonus is it comes with playthrough requirements of just 1x, which is much lower than the industry average. This means you will need to place an amount of wagers equal to the size of your refund before withdrawing any winnings obtained by wagering the bonus. If you are refunded $200, for example, and use that to win $400, you will need to place $200 worth of wagers before withdrawing your winnings.
Ongoing FanDuel Promotions for Existing Customers
FanDuel introduces new, short-term promos on a regular basis in line with the sports calendar and major events.
Common themes among these ongoing promos include:
- Odds Boosts: FanDuel regularly enhances the payout odds on select markets to give customers extra value for betting on those events. For example, an even with odds of +195 may be boosted to +250 for a day. Look for the “Odds Boosts” tab in the main sportsbook area.
- Close Loss Insurance: These promos offer a site credit refund on select wagers if your team comes close to winning but falls just a little short.
- Win Bonus: Place a wager on your team and earn site credit for point, touchdown, goal, etc. by which your team wins.
- Bad Beat Insurance: If your team is winning at the half, third quarter or some other similar metric but goes on to lose the game, FanDuel will refund your wager with site credit.
- High Scoring Insurance: If your team scored at least X points (a recent example being 75 points in a college basketball game) but still loses, your original wager will be refunded with site credit.
- Parlay Insurance: Place a 5+ leg parlay and get a refund if your parlay loses by just one leg.
FanDuel Mobile Betting App
The FanDuel mobile betting app is available for iOS and Android devices. Users of both can point their browsers to FanDuel.com for a link to download the official mobile app.
iOS users will be directed to the proper page in the App Store to get started while Android users will be directed to download the app directly from FanDuel.com
Whether you’re betting through an Android or iPhone, the FanDuel mobile experience offers full functionality. Every sport league, type of wager and in-play betting market offered through the full website is also accessible through the mobile app.
The mobile interface is best described as intuitive. Upon logging in, you’ll be greeted with a general sportsbook overview displaying the most popular markets and important games along with menu items to browse the full list of sports, active promotions and odds boosts. Live streaming is also supported for a growing list of sports leagues, including certain tennis matches, soccer and NHL games.
Selecting any individual game brings up the full list of markets for that game. From there, tapping any individual wager adds it to your bet slip where you can select an amount to wager or combine multiple wagers to create custom parlays.
FanDuel Horse Racing Betting
FanDuel offers horse racing betting in a roundabout way. Parent company Betfair US also operates horse racing website TVG.com. if you visit the FanDuel homepage and select the horse racing menu item, you will be redirected to TVG.com where you can sign up for a separate account and wager on horse races held around the world.
Through TVG, you’ll be able to wager on horse races in the US and abroad in true parimutuel fashion at actual track odds. TVG provides live racing video, handicapping tools and much more for customers in most US states.
You can read about the TVG experience in our review here.
FanDuel Online Casino
FanDuel’s New Jersey and Pennsylvania customers also have access to online casino games, but the setup is a bit different in each state.
If you log in to FanDuel Sportsbook from New Jersey and select the “Casino” tab, you’ll be redirected to Betfair Casino (which is owned by the same parent company). From there, you can sign up for a separate account to play online slots, table games and live dealer games.
Pennsylvania customers have it a bit easier. If you log in to the FanDuel app from Pennsylvania and visit the “Casino” tab, you’ll be able to play a collection of slots and table games from within the FanDuel app. A new account is not needed for Pennsylvania customers.
The Betfair Casino option for new Jersey players is the larger of the two. Betfair hosts more than 400 games in total with a number of those offering progressive jackpots. At one point, Betfair Casino held the record for the largest progressive jackpot ever paid in New Jersey: $1,522,000.
FanDuel’s Pennsylvania casino is limited to a smaller selection of games, but that number should grow over time as it is the newer of the two. Over time, we can expect FanDuel Casino to add many games for all Pennsylvania customers.
Casino Welcome Bonus
In New Jersey, Betfair Casino offers a two-part welcome bonus consisting of a $10 registration bonus and a 100% up to $2,500 deposit bonus.
The registration bonus can be claimed by signing up for an account with no deposit necessary. After signing up, Betfair will drop $10 in your account to play games with no up front risk. The bonus money is issued as site credit only, but any winnings may be withdrawn after making an initial deposit of at least $10.
If you decide to make a deposit of your own, Betfair will match it 100% to give you up to $2,500 in site credit. Although this bonus sounds like a good deal at first, it comes with hefty wagering requirements of 20 times the bonus + deposit amount. This means making a deposit of just $50 and claiming a $50 bonus would require wagers totaling $4,000 before withdrawing any of the bonus money or winnings deriving from the bonus.
To make matters worse, only certain games count 100% towards meeting the wagering requirements. All slots play counts 100% towards the rollover, but roulette only counts 50% and all other table games count 10%. Attempting to clear this bonus with any games other than slots would be a long haul for even the most ardent of gamblers.
Live Dealer Games
Betfair Casino provides an assortment of live streaming games staffed by human dealers to deliver an authentic casino experience. The live dealer selection includes:
- Live blackjack
- Live roulette
- Live baccarat
- Live hold ’em
FanDuel Daily Fantasy Contests
Despite legal sports betting grabbing all the headlines in recent years, FanDuel remains committed to its 6 million+ daily fantasy players. Even today, FanDuel shares the throne with arch rival DraftKings as either the first or second-largest fantasy site depending on who you ask.
Fantasy contests at FanDuel come in all sizes, from small head-to-head contests between you and a single opponent to massive, million-dollar guarantees involving hundreds of thousands of players.
Fantasy football generates the largest prize pools on the platform to the surprise of absolutely no one. As an example, a recent Sunday Million contest at FanDuel guaranteed $1,750,000 in prizes with $300,000 of that reserved just for the first-place finisher.
Contests are also offered in a variety of formats including:
- Tournaments: Pay the fee, build your lineup and score as many points as possible. The highest-scoring lineups earn cash prizes in standard tournament fashion.
- Head-to-Head: Compete against a single opponent in these winner-take-all contests.
- Single Game: Fantasy contests that involve a single game rather than the usual slate of multiple games. These contests have you pick just five athletes for your lineup.
- SuperFlex: Draft 8 athletes who can be from any position.
- 3-Man Challenge: Draft just 3 players for your fantasy team, including an MVP who scores 1.5x points.
- Beat the Score: All you need to do is beat the score to receive an equal share of the tournament’s prize pool.
- Multipliers: Double-ups award 2x your buyin if you finish in the top 50%, triple-ups award 3x your buyin if you finish in the top third and so on.
- Beginners Only: Compete in tournaments that restricted to contestants who have played in fewer than 50 contests.
FanDuel DFS Bonuses and Promos
FanDuel is not a very promotion-heavy operation on the daily fantasy side of things. The new customer welcome bonus changes frequently but is often worth something in the range of $20 or less.
For example, the most recent fantasy welcome bonus welcomed all new customers with a $20 bonus in return for signing up and making an initial deposit of at least $20. The bonus was awarded in chunks of $5 once a week for four weeks to make it seem even less impressive.
The fact is FanDuel simply occupies the high ground in daily fantasy. Other than DraftKings, there is no other real competition in terms of contest variety, size and overall quality. Large welcome bonuses just aren’t necessary for FanDuel to hold its position at the top of the pecking order.
FanDuel Loyalty Program
FanDuel runs a simple daily fantasy loyalty program based on FanDuel Points (FDPs). For every $1 you pay in entry fees, you’ll earn 5 FDPs. These FDPs can then be used to enter paid contests in lieu of cash.
The conversion rate is not particularly impressive. Thousands of FDPs are needed to enter even small buyin contests. For example, we checked a recent $9 contest and it would have required 21,600 FDPs to enter for free.
FanDuel Refer-a-Friend Program
If you have friends, family or fellow office league players who you think would enjoy FanDuel, you can refer them to earn $15 in site credit for the both of you. You can refer friends by logging in to your account and visiting the referral center to send them a referral link by e-mail, set up a private league for all of you, issue a challenge or send invites via social media.
You and your friend will each receive $15 in site credit if they sign up for an account and play in at least $10 worth of paid contests within 30 days of registering.
Daily Fantasy Screenshots
FanDuel Customer Support
FanDuel customer support is available 24/7 and may be contacted by a variety of methods. There is also an FAQ area that is actually quite comprehensive. If you give the FAQ area a quick search, there is a good chance you’ll find what you need without even having to talk to one of the support people.
- 24/7 live chat
- E-mail ticket support system
- Comprehensive self-help area
- Sportsbook e-mail help: email@example.com
- Daily fantasy e-mail help: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Daily Fantasy Support Phone: (646) 930-0860
- Sportsbook Support Phone: (877) 689-0662 (10 AM – 8 PM ET)
FanDuel Deposit and Withdrawal Methods
FanDuel Sportsbook accepts the following deposit methods. Note that not all deposit methods are accepted in all states. Login to your sportsbook account and visit the cashier’s area to see a full list of deposit methods available in your state.
- Credit and debit card: VISA and Mastercard accepted.
- FanDuel prepaid card: Branded prepaid card that can be funded instantly online. FanDuel will also mail a physical card to your address that can be used to withdraw funds at ATMs and make purchases wherever Discover is accepted.
- PayPal: FanDuel accepts PayPal deposits if your PayPal account is linked to your bank account.
- ACH / eCheck: Send money from your checking account to your FanDuel account.
- Online bank transfer: If you bank supports online bill pay, you can use your existing online banking login information to approve a deposit to FanDuel. Supported banks include Bank of America, BB&T, Capital One 360, PNC, Regions, SunTrust, S. Bank and Wells Fargo.
- Cash: New Jersey residents can fund their sportsbook accounts in-person with cash at Meadowlands Racetrack.
- Check by mail: Send a cashier’s check, money order or banker’s draft to “Betfair Interactive US, LLC” at 123 Town Square Place #195, Jersey City, NJ 07310
- PayNearMe: Pay with cash at your local 7-Eleven, CVS or Family Dollar.
- Wire Transfer: Bank to bank wire – FanDuel will reimburse any bank fees for deposits greater than $100.
Sportsbook withdrawals may be requested via ACH/eCheck, paper check in the mail, prepaid card, PayPal and cash at Meadowlands Racetrack.
FanDuel fantasy accepts deposits via credit card, debit card, online banking and PayPal. Withdrawals may be requested via PayPal, online banking or check.
States Where FanDuel Sportsbook is Available
FanDuel Sportsbook is available in:
- New Jersey
- West Virginia
Daily Fantasy Restricted States
FanDuel’s daily fantasy platform is available in most of the US minus just a few states. Daily fantasy is restricted in Arizona, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Louisiana, Montana, Nevada and Washington.